2/26/12

Letterpress: The Berkeley Suite






My sister got married at the end of this past summer and Chris and I gifted them a custom, letterpress invitation suite for their special day. The venue was an old church, built in 1871, that has now been converted into a hip venue space. I was given free reign for the design and because the venue was so unusual I decided to something outside of what is typical for wedding suites. My sister had mentioned that she liked carnival-era posters with a heavy focus on a combination of different types of font. I played around with designs for a bit before landing on the idea of building everything around the circular design. I wanted it to be interesting but also clean and modern.

I worked with Snap and Tumble for the letterpress portion of the invites. Tanya was extremely patient during the whole process - in total the printing took 10 hrs (!). Each of the 120+ invites had to go through the press five times and that's not counting the designs on the envelopes and the reply envelopes (not shown) that had the bride and groom's return address. The colours were hand-inked and the registration was all done by hand on the letterpress.

It was a huge project but I was pretty happy with how everything turned out. I love that the invitations communicated the individual style of the day and the fun nature of the couple.

Custom Letterpress Wedding Invitations: MF Miller
Letterpress Rental: Snap and Tumble

3 comments:

t a n y a said...

I love the design of this invitation suite, Maria! Your sister and new brother-in-law are so very lucky!

cambie design said...

I had never seen the entire set. They are so amazing! You are so wonderfully talented.

escapade said...

Amazing!! You did such a fantastic job - can't wait to see more of your work (hint - stationery!)

Well done lovely one! xo