2/23/12

Symposium News - 10 March 2012



I have had the supreme honour to volunteer at the Ontario Crafts Council this winter. It has been lovely to work in a space that is so creative (every time I go in there's a new exhibition up) and so supportive. When I contacted them this past summer for a volunteer position, I expected to be stuffing envelopes or maybe helping out at their retail location, The Guild Shop. Either of these would have been okay since I understand the amount of effort it takes to keep an organization like the OCC running and I would have been happy to do anything since my main goal was to support the crafts community and basically just help out. I was pretty ecstatic when I got offered a position that involved online design, blog support and campaign promotions. The OCC let me jump in with both feet to help work on the publicity end of their upcoming symposium, Craft and the New Economy.

Craft and the New Economy is a one-day symposium that brings together international, national and local speakers to address the relationship between craft and issues of sustainable business practice, technology, DIY and social responsibility. The term ‘new economy’ does not simply address issues of recession and global connectivity, but the development of new tools, processes of engagement, and the role of craft in the 21st century. Craft and the New Economy is an opportunity to explore the complex terrain of craft as object, profession, and cultural intermediary.

It's taking place in Toronto on 10 March 2012 and registration for the event closes 07 March so click here to get your tickets while they are still available.

The speakers are pretty impressive - I've spent much time going through their individual bodies of work so I can tell you that their varied disciplines and backgrounds will surely make for interesting discussions across each of the panels and presentations.

If you can make it, I urge you to check it out and help support it through your blogs, twitter or facebook.


Buy tickets for the symposium event here.
Event Facebook page here.
Event Twitter page here.

Ontario Crafts Council Facebook page here.
OCC twitter page here.